11.11.04

Rio de Janeiro

Several weeks ago I had the chance to visit Rio de Janeiro. Only with the purpose of attending a Stochastic Dynnamic Programming conference. The combination of that name and the subtle 31 degrees outside motivated me to escape several times and get to know just a bit of this beautiful city. I went there alone, and that is pretty different than having somebody to share all those "wow!!!!, look at that!!", etc.. However, I managed to hang out with very nice people.
My perceptions of Rio were changing constantly. I took a cab at the airport, and at the beginning of my ride I could only see a reflection of Mexico City's worst slums. It was very dissapointing. Then everything started to change: The driver played some bossa nova, and following its rythm the road started undulating and we left all that behind. A day after I could not have enough of Botafogo, Ipanema, Copacabana, Urca. Rio is a combination of modernity, nature, and magic. The magic of the character of the cariocas.
Do not listen to any s#$%^ that you hear about the city. It is true, some parts are not very pretty. But the beauty that you will witness will certainly pay off. The quality of the food offered is excellent. I strongly recommend you to go to Barra, look for a nice restaurant and try the farofa, the freijoada and any kind of meat cuts that are offered there.
Looking down to the city from the "Cristo del Corcorvado", I could not think on anything else but the fortune that brought me there. When the trip was over, I thanked Chuchin for that and also Luiz Barroso. The best tourist guide ever.

Photography is the memory of a dream Posted by Hello